Friday, December 14, 2012

The Tragedy in Newtown

I was horrified when I saw what happened in Connecticut today. What has to happen in a person's life for them to believe the only option is kill innocent children? I came home tonight and turned on the news and almost immediately started crying. I watched as parents fell to the ground with grief. My heart is broken for the families who are affected. I feel so blessed to know what I know. To know that those parents will be with their children again. That those innocent children are in a better place today. Here is what the First Presidency had to say:

"We are profoundly saddened by the events this morning at a school in Connecticut. We grieve with all those affected by this tragedy and especially for the families of these little children."
"In this hour of great sorrow we pray the Spirit of our Father in Heaven will provide comfort and peace to all."


As I have been online watching the story unfold, understandably people are discussing gun control laws. I understand the fear that comes from these events can be overwhelming, but I think we have to take a step back and look at the real problem. I believe the issue at the heart of many of these horrible attacks is mental illness. If our nation were better equipped to treat and care for people with mental health issues, there is a possibility that we could prevent these tragic events. If we, as citizens, reach out to the people we know who are suffering, we can make sure these events don't happen again. These shooters often take a lot of time to plan their attack. If they wanted to find a gun, they would. In the case of the shooting in Newtown, the guns used were purchased legally by the shooters mother. I guess the point of all of this is this: If you see someone who is yelling for attention and help, who is mentally unstable, please help them. Gun control is important, but it will not prevent more shootings. We can all help prevent these situations by being better brothers and sisters, friends and co-workers.

My prayers are with all of the families in Newtown Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS