Friday, February 1, 2013

College Acceptance

I realize now that I took so many things for granted when I was growing up. I grew up with awesome parents and siblings, I never wanted for anything and I had the world at my fingertips. Since we moved down here to Miami, I now see that not everyone has what I had. Working with the Young Women at church has been especially humbling. These girls fight for a lot of the things they have in life, and they are far happier then I ever was in my teenage years. Last fall I had the chance to help one of the girls apply for BYU/BYU-I. She has amazing parents who helped her get everything in and I got to help her edit her essays. It made me nostalgic for the days when I applied for BYU and dreamed of leaving home and growing up.

Last night, I was with my counselors and another girl from our ward watching Vampire Diaries and talking. I got a call around 10 and it was this same young women I had helped with her applications. She said, "Emily, I checked my application status and for BYU-I it says admitted." So of course I start yelling "You got in!!" All she could say was "I am going to college!" We were all clapping and yelling. Pretty much a magical moment. I told her to hang up and go tell her parents and since then I haven't stopped smiling. She is the first to go to college in her family and has so much ability. It is so awesome to see the opportunity and promise that education grants us. I will admit I struggled to get through college (took me 6 years), but I am so glad Derek and I made the sacrifices we did to help me graduate.



I am so grateful the church has colleges that provide opportunities for us to learn and grow. I am also grateful I had the chance to see a friend have the opportunity to go to college. Definitely a moment I won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS