Friday, April 5, 2013

Where has 2013 gone?

Somehow it is April... APRIL?!? How did that happen? The last few months have been beyond busy. Every weekend had something going on and Derek and I have been on overdrive. Derek has gotten into a rhythm with school and has been doing amazing (surprise). March was filled with fun things like Derek's Pinning Ceremony, Girls Camp, a trip to Nicaragua, a visit from family and lots and lots of time preparing for those things. I will be sure to blog everything in the next few days. 

While this month has been busy, it has also been insanely fun! I feel so blessed to be living the life I dreamed of. I live in an amazing city with an amazing husband and I have a great job. Just this week I was driving home from work and I had one of those moments where I realized that I am an adult. I enjoyed this thought for a second... and then I realized I will be 26 next month. 26!?!?! I definitely don't feel like I'm 26... 26 means I can no longer claim to be in my early 20's. It means that I should probably finally establish a facial routine and start using eye creams (because yes, I have wrinkles!). I actually had to roll down my window and breathe fresh air. I don't know where all the time has gone but I am now an adult and, to be honest, I don't know how I feel about that. I mean, I watch shows that are targeted for teenagers, can't cook 2 days in a row, leave my dishes out far too long, don't do laundry until it is absolutely necessary, and let my gas tank hit zero before filling up. All of these things seem to allude to me being 18-20, not 26. 

Proof that I almost ran out of gas earlier this week.
I called my mom and talked to her this week about this because I was having a mid-20's crisis and you still call your mom for those. She just laughed and told me to join the club. Her words were, "We all feel that way... why do you think I hated my birthday." Ok, so this does explain a lot about my mom not acknowledging her birthday until I was in college. Then she told me that life isn't about age, but experiences. It made me think about what age is. It's a number... THAT IS IT! I believe that, after we leave this mortal life, we keep living. We still learn, grow, create memories and get older. This age after we die is measured in wisdom and experience, not by how old we are. So I am choosing to not freak out about turning 26 and not owning a home or having kids. I am going to enjoy every year I get to spend here on Earth learning and growing. I am not going to be hard on myself about what the social expectations are and I am going to do my life the way it works for me. I am going to be OK with my lack of "adulthood" and embrace my inner child (at least I still have one). And I am pretty excited about this decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS