Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Met Gala Gowns

Last night was the Met Gala, which always translates into one of the greatest fashion nights of the year. I loved seeing what my favorite stars wore and picking my favorites. I was impressed with how well everyone handled the "punk" theme last night and what beautiful gowns came out of it. I keep trying to pick my favorites of the night, but I just can't commit to a definitive list. Instead, I have just picked a few of my favorites from the Gala to show you all.

Nina Dobrev in Monique Lullier
I am obsessed with Nina Dobrev's style (when she isn't on Vampire Diaries) and she did not disappoint last night. She looked so chic and claimed her place on the carpet. Her hair and makeup were perfect with her gown AND she made it all work with the theme. 

Minka Kelly in Carolina Herrera
Loved the dress, loved the embellishments and I LOVED her hair. Perfection. 

Emma Watson in Prabal Gurung
I really admire how well put together Emma Watson is. She showed off her rockin figure and looked demure and sophisticated. I am diggin the one earring too. 

Taylor Swift J Mendel
So happy to see Taylor's crimp back! Her makeup was perfect for this gown. She showed up solo (a plus in my book) and kept her look mature. A big win for T Swift.

Anne Hathaway in Valentino
I have kind of been bored of Anne Hathaway lately. Her performance in Les Mis was beyond amazing but she has been lackluster for me on the red carpet. I think the dramatic hair and sheer paneling of this dress showed she isn't afraid to take a risk at the right time (and in the right way). And it hit the theme on the head. 

Blake Lively in Gucci Premiere 
Oh Blake. She is always impeccable. The dark and light blue was refreshing in a sea of black. Although it wasn't on theme necessarily, it's a winner in my book. 

While there were some really gorgeous dresses, I have to say that a few stood out to me as being horribly awful. Some people just took the theme too far and looked like train wrecks. Here are my worst dressed. Be prepared because they are pretty bad. 

Nicole Richie in TopShop Couture
The spray tan, the white hair, the ear cuff... all fail. I felt like I was in Willy Wonka's semi fashionable Chocolate Factory. 

Kim K in Givenchy
When you are pregnant, you want to wear something that is as slimming as possible. Floral prints are NOT slimming. And the gloves were just confusing and bizarre. Her best accessory was Kanye. 

Katy Perry in Dolce and Gabbana
Part of me (who is a child and likes dress up) liked the dress. The rest of me hated it. 

The Olsen Twins in The Row and Vintage Chanel
 I haven't understood the style of the Olsen Twins since they were on TV together, but last night was bewildering. They didn't even go with the theme! And that hair... Such a shame when they have those great cheek bones. 

That is my take on last night. I really do love how crazy the stars get to try and look their best for the Met Gala. I appreciate some of the more costume-y outfits the celebs rocked last night and had a great time looking over the pictures and ohhing and ahhing at their gowns. Until next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS